Halibut over Rice Pilaf topped with Creamy Spinach
I have to admit, I was not a huge fan of fish when I was younger and I'm still not (gasp!). Halibut and tuna has changed that. This dish blew my mind - I was able to leave the fish hardly untouched except for a little bit of salt and olive oil (good fish/meat don't shouldn't need a lot) and compliment it with a simple rice pilaf and a creamy spinach. I hope you try and enjoy just as much as I did!
P.S. this was inspired by my 7 month old as I wanted to introduce fish to him early and guess what?
He LOVED it.
- 3 Medium stove pans (I prefer cast iron to cook the fish)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Butcher block
- Wooden spoon
- Cheese grater
IN THE KITCHEN
For the Rice Pilaf
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Orzo pasta uncooked 1/2 cup
- Yellow onion 1/2 cup diced
- Garlic 3 cloves minced
- Chicken broth 2 cups
- White rice uncooked 1/2 cup
- Green onions thinly sliced
- Butter 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil a tablespoon
- Shallot 1 diced
- Garlic cloves 2 mincedBaby spinach 12 ounces
- Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper dash
- Nutmeg dash
- Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup grated
(remove from refrigerator 10 minutes before cooking)
- Halibut 2-3 fillets
- Olive oil a tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon slices
Rice Pilaf (20-30 minuets)
1. Begin by heating oil on stove over medium low heat.
2. Add orzo pasta and cook until golden brown.
3. Add in shallot cooking until translucent then add garlic.
4. Mix in your chicken broth and white rice; bring to a boil.
5. Lower your heat, cover and let the liquid absorb ~20 minutes
6. When rice is cooked, turn off heat and let stand for ~5 minutes covered. Fluff with a fork and serve!
Creamy Spinach (15 minutes)
1. Melt butter with oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic, cooking for a couple minutes.
3. Mix in spinach and let cook until wilted.
4. Add remaining ingredients and cook until cream thickens. Start your fish!
Halibut (7 minutes)
1. Sprinkle halibut with salt on both sides.
2. Heat oil in cast iron (or medium pan) , once hot add halibut meat side down.
3. Let cook for 3 minutes; pressing down with your spatula at times to create a tasty crust.
4. Flip and repeat with other side. Keep an eye on not to overcook.
Assemble your dish starting with a spoonful of rice pilaf, halibut fillet next. Top with creamy spinach and a sprinkle of green onions. Add slices of lemon for an optional addition. Enjoy!