A cozy winter night treat. I whipped up this dish last night and served with venison sausage -
which was a great compliment! Or this chicken thigh recipe (coming soon) !
- Cutting Board
- Deep Sauté Pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden Spoon or other utensil to mix
- Cheese Grater
IN THE KITCHEN
- Olive Oil 3 tablespoons
- Butternut Squash 2 cups, 1/2" cubed
- Yellow onion or shallots 1/3 cup chopped
- Garlic; minced 2 cloves
- Leeks 2, sliced 1/4" white and green parts only
-Thyme 2 tablespoons, chopped
- Arborio Rice 1 cup
- Dry White Wine 1/4 cup
- Chicken Broth 2.5 cups
- Parmesan [Valley Ford "ESTERO GOLD" RESERVE]1.5 cups shredded
- Basil 3/4 cup julienned
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add butternut squash and cook until edges are browned. Remove from pan to later add.
3. Use remaining 1 tablespoon oil , add onion, garlic, leeks and thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes before adding in arborio rice.
4. Occasionally stir mixture for 5 minutes then slowly add dry white wine. Let evaporate.
5. Turn heat to medium/low. Add chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time while stirring after each addition. You may add more or less until the rice is cooked (depending on your stove top, you might want to lower your heat so the broth simmers).
6. Add butternut squash back in and remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/4 cup of cheese so your risotto is nice and creamy.
7. Serve up and top with basil and remaining cheese!